Srimad Bhagavata Mahatmyam 08 - Srimad Bhagavata, Redemption from Sins


Hari Om

My highest Salutations to Lord Narasimha, the destroyer of ignorance and in whose abode resides the Goddess of abundance. My repeated Salutations to him at whose service are Gods themselves at all time. Also, my scaled Salutations to all Gods that includes Hanuman, Sarasvati, Garuda, Sesha, Shiva, Narada, Dhruva, Prahalada who are always brimming with devotion and are never exhausted at the service of Lord. My utmost Salutations to Srimad Acharya and all the Gurus of the lineage through whom the nectar of Bhagavata Shastra has been flowing and seek the shelter of Guru Raghavendra at all times.

Srimad Bhagavata, Redemption from Sins

Narada Rishi, concerned for the people of Kali Yuga, endorsing Srimad Bhagavata, he reiterated that this is the only reliable medicine for cleaning of one’s mind. With full of gratitude towards Sanatkumara for having shown a great remedy through Bhagavata Sapthaha, Narada Rishi further asked that by doing Saptaha Yagna, who all will get purified or get rid of sins and what sorts of sins one can get rid of? 

Sanatkumara says, 
Whatever sins one has done could be absolved by performing Bhagavata Sapthaha Yagna and those who are always involved in sins could also get rid. 

The person who has extreme anger and is always boiling with rage could get his sins absolved by Bhagavata Sapthaha. So too, the ones who are crook, criminal, always breaking the law and cruel. Also, the ones who are looking out for bad things, people who lie, deceive, fraudsters who have stolen the money of others and taken away others job could get rid of his sins by Bhagavata Sapthaha.

The people who are greedy, desirous of materialistic luxuries, talk bad about parents. Ones who have not maintained the sanctity of ashramas like Brahamacharya, Grahasta, Vanaprastha or Sanyasi. The husband or wife having illicit relations. All of them could get rid of their sins.

All those sinners, who have transgressed, abused and afflicted physically, orally or mentally could absolve their sins by the help of Bhagavata Sapthaha Yagna and is better than river Ganga. 

However, one should note that Srimad Bhagavata has already clarified that any activity done without bhakti or devotion towards the Lord is of no use. Also, if one does not have a feeling of remorse, accept the sins and commit towards correction, then it would be like dipping the bottle of liquor in the Ganges. Like nothing could purify the liquor, so too, carrying out Bhagavata sapthaha would become mechanical and unyielding. 

Like a mother concerned about her child, with kindness and generosity, Jagannatha dasaru has composed a poem in old Kannada listing common man’s activities that would push one to the hell and taught how to seek refuge in Lord. 

Jaganatha Dasa, who lived from 1728 to 1809 was a great saint and an Aproksha Jnani. The highest transcendental knowledge blessed by the Lord with the sight of himself, after the consent of his Guru Gopala Dasa. While he has several spiritual literary works, Harikathamritasara is his magnum opus. His works are with his pen name as Jagannatha Vittala. 

The Siri Ramana Tava Charana poem, its translation and sound bites below:

Narahariye ninna naamasmarane maadade narakakke Guriyaadeno | AP |
Siriramana tava charana dorakuvudu hyaanginnu Parama paapishta naanu | P |

Lord Narahari! Having not even remembered your name, I am on the verge of falling into the Hell!
My Lord, even Siri, the goddess of abundance looks to you for happiness.
Where do I stand to pray to your lotus feet?
I am an extreme sinner!

Kere bhaavi mandiragalanu kedahi naa hiridaagi mane kattide |
Nerenadevamaargadaa aravattigegalanu tharathadibicchi tegede |
Paramasan bhramadinda araleya mara koresi baagila maadide |
Vara mandirava mugisi harusha chitrava tegesi paripariya soukhya surude|merede || 1 ||

I boast of my house, built on public property like Lakes, Wells, and Temples.
I have razed the shelters built for the public on the pathways.
With great enthusiasm, I got the pupil trees cut to get my house doors done.
Having constructed a grand house, took the picture with great joy and furnished it with luxury.

Hosa maneya kamdu balu hasidu busuraru bare kosari hAkuta dabbuta |
shashimukhiye baremdu asavasadi bannisuta hasanagi avalolisuta |
Dashami ekadashi dwadashi dinadalli ashana yeradhottu unnuta |
gasagasane tambula pashuvinamdadi meddu kusumagamdiya ramisuta naguta || 2 ||

When the virtuous came to the house, I played tricks to chase away. For them, never to come back again.
However, I spent my time with my beautiful wife, boasting of my achievements & the luxuries we had.
Forgetting the full or partial fasting days 10th, 11th & 12 from new or full moon day, I have been eating food twice a day.
Being Happy and laughing, I even had paan like an animal on those fasting days.

Saakalyadinda shaaligraamadabhisheka aakalhaalali maadade |
Naakentu naayigala saaki maneyolu baduka bekendu haalu hoyde |
Kaaku buddigalinda gudagudi nashyapudi haaki bhangiya sedide |
Loka nindakanaagi paatakava necchi aneka joojugalaadide | hariye || 3 || 

My Lord, with complete faith, I did not pour the cow’s milk on the Saligrama, where your presence is there in a remarkable way.
However, I served the milk to several pets in my house that wagged its tail, which intoxicated me of power.
With a distorted mind, I got addicted to tobacco & drugs.
Being tabooed & uncivil, I spent my time in gambling.

badarayana krita bhagavata keluvalli adaravu puttalilla |
vadigala matavalidu madvasiddantada hadige hogalilla |
Shodhisida chinnakke samarada vaishnavara padakke bIlalilla |
vedabahyarigeragi apasavya mananagi adikomdeno idella salla || 4 ||

My Lord, the desire to hear Srimad Bhagavata composed by Lord Veda Vyasa never aroused in me.
Nor I evaluated the arguments on an axiom of Philosophy and took that path.
Nor I fell at the feet of those Vaishnava who had purified themselves like refined Gold.
Instead, I have whiled away my time by gossiping and criticising including you.

Kshitiyolage innaaru hitava bayasuvarenage gatiyenu pelo konege |
Satata tava dhyaanadali ratanaagi iruva sanmatiyane paalisiga |
Patita paavananenbo birudu avaniya mele shruti saarutideyo heege |
Shishikanthanuta jagannaathavithala ninna stutisi more hokke doreye || 5 ||

My Lord, I don’t find anyone in this universe, who wishes me well. Ultimately what is my fate?
Now please, bless me with desire for regular meditation of your forms and attributes.
The Shruti are telling that you have been awarded certificate as Purifier of Sins.
My Lord, Jaganatha Vittla, you are pleasant like a moon, praising your glories, I take refuge in you.

Siri Ramana Tava Charana  - Sound Bites   


|| Hari Om ||

Sri Krishnarpanamastu


Comments